The Innovation Festival #innfestCA was a two week festival that lasted from early to mid June 2018 and included asRead more
Interested in joining or forming a group on innovationforchange.net around a particular topic, region/country, community, or theme? Now you can!Read more
“Central Asian NGOs should focus on building partnership relationships with those in the state with whom they share common goals,Read more
Read the full description here in English: http://www.civicus.org/index.php/photo-contest
A well-timed snapshot captured by a sharp-eyed photographer can tell a poignant story, document an important political moment, or illustrate a key point that helps sharpen a message in the viewer’s mind.
If you also believe that photography can be a powerful tool, enter the CIVICUS State of Civil Society: 2016 in Pictures contest by submitting a photo that shows how your organisation or network empowers and engages citizens to take action on critical issues that affect everyone.
All voting and associate members (individual or organisational) of the CIVICUS alliance are eligible. Members are invited to submit entries of photos that show active citizens working to build a more just, equal, peaceful and sustainable world.
JUDGING & PRIZES
Each member may submit up to 3 photographs in total. There will be a total of 3 cash prizes: A top prize of $500 (USD), and two runner-up prizes of $250 each. Prize winners will be selected by a panel of CIVICUS staff. Winning entries will be selected and contestants informed of the panel’s decisions by March 2017.
Note: CIVICUS reserves the right not to award prizes if the judges rule that there is no clear winner or to revoke a prize if it is found that photo submissions are not eligible for any reason.
ELIGIBILITY & WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A PHOTO
We’re looking for compelling images that show civil society in action and the efforts of activists to protect and promote civic space. Photos must have been taken between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2016, and must be submitted with all required background information in order for your entry to be eligible. Non-members will also be required to sign-up for CIVICUS membership to fulfill eligibility requirements.
The contest is being held in parallel with the preparation of CIVICUS’ flagship State of Civil Society (SOCS) report covering 2016 (past SOCS reports are available here). Selected photos may be incorporated into the design of the 2017 State of Civil Society report, and may also be featured in other CIVICUS communications channels, including the CIVICUS website and Twitter and Facebook feeds.
Photos may also be used for other CIVICUS publications and/or at CIVICUS events in the future. Ownership of all photos remains with the photographers and/or organisations submitting the photographs. Their use will be credited in all instances of use by CIVICUS.
SO PLEASE SEND US:
– High quality, powerful photos that illustrate effective and inspiring efforts by and for civil society;
– Images that illustrate exciting actions that exemplify the challenges faced by civil society and the efforts made to protect and promote civic space;
– Photos that tell a story, capture a key moment, or represent the successes or challenges of civil society action during 2016.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT ALL ENTRIES MUST:
– Be the original work of the applicant
– Not infringe on the rights of others
– Be respectful of the rights, sensitivities, and culture of persons depicted
– Give an accurate reflection of the subject matter and scene as it appeared, without alteration (other than standard optimisation, e.g., cropping, adjustments to colour and contrast, etc.)
(Note: you can read some tips about what makes a great photo at the following links):
– Eligible entries are limited to original photos to which the applicant (photographer, organisation submitting the photographs, or both) holds all rights.
– All entries must be submitted by CIVICUS members (whether voting or associate; voting membership is based on an annual fee, and associate membership is free. You can find out more information and sign-up forms here, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.)
– Each applicant (whether organisation or individual) is limited to a total of 3 photos with a required descriptive caption for each photo. Each photo’s caption must be a one-line description of the photo, followed by a note of when and where it was taken and the photographer’s name (if the photographer is to be credited individually).
– File size and format: Up to 2 MB per photo; JPEG/300dpi (Winners may be asked to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes.)
– Entry Period: 1 January 2017 – 31 January 2017, midnight GMT
SEND YOUR PHOTO SUBMISSIONS AND COMPLETED CONTEST APPLICATION FORM TO: photoContest@civicus.org by 31 January 2017, midnight GMTRead more